Wednesday, December 30, 2015

5 things I learned on Camano Island

You always learn something when taken out of your normal routine! 

This weekend I had the opportunity to take a trip up north to this little place called Camano Island to teach a hip-hop workshop. I've never been there before so I decided to take the family up with me. We've been in contact for about a month prior to the workshop and it finally came time to make the drive up there. I didn't know what to expect but I knew once I got to the warm ups and 1st eight count what I was dealing with :)

My approach to every workshop is to be personable and make them leave feeling like they've conquered the world. See most choreographers teach to see their choreography on the students. I teach to see the student succeed in life thru choreography. There is so much we can teach about life thru dance. We can create great dancers but we have the power to create better human beings! Let me explain myself a little bit.

Camano Dance Academy is a small town studio with an enrollment of 500+ students. Wow! Talk about owning the town :)
We pull up to the dance studio surrounded by nothing but trees. I've never seen a studio nestled in the middle of a forest like this before but it's quite the set up. The kids start filing in one by one for the beginning class. Sarah Cooper (hip-hop instructor) comes in and greets her students and also new ones that are currently not enrolled in her class. She takes the beginning class and I'm  filled with joy seeing her dance with her kids. 

Here's what I've learned this weekend. It's nothing new but a great kick in the butt to make you realize to get back on track. 

1: BE EXCITED ABOUT YOUR STUDENTS! 
Meeting the students and Sarah put into perspective on how students should view their teacher. As a teacher, I talk a lot, but for good measure. Some students/parents can agree to disagree but I feel like dance class should also be looked at as dance literature. There is no correct way to "move" in hip hop so I deem it necessary to talk about it and give examples or lessons if you will in movement and expression. Some kids care less and continue to depend on talent while other kids soak up the knowledge and excel thru hard work. These kids came to soak up the knowledge and it goes to show that the instructor is doing a great job. 

2: CONTINUE TO TAKE CLASS
Instead of watching Sarah take a seat and watch class, she was right there sweating it out with the rest of us. Both in the beginning and advance class. Back to back she danced just as much as I did in the workshop and it just goes to show the students that you should never stop learning. Always grow in your craft. Whatever it is. There is always room to grow and learn. There were also other students who have since moved on from the studio and are in college that came back to take class. It's heartwarming to see past students come back to their roots. 

3: TRY NEW THINGS 
My style of choreography wasn't their specialty but the willingness and determination to understand and grasp the style was awesome to see. Trying new things or even being in a new setting is uncomfortable to say the least but when you attack it with a learning attitude, you succeed no matter what.

4: BE VULNERABLE
I taught a vulnerable piece and it did have some explanation in order to execute well. The recipe to a good dance is musicality and execution. With those 2 things, you really can't mess up a good dance. I taught "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber and while most can't relate, some can, and it makes for a better visual representation. In order for us to understand what you are trying to convey on stage, we, as an audience need to feel your joy or pain. Be vulnerable enough to let us into your thoughts and emotions while you dance. 

5: LOVE WHAT YOU DO
At the end of the day, do you still love what you do? As a dance coach I'm able to say that with a smile. Though at times, kids can be a handful and some days just disrespectful to be totally honest, but we all fall short, amen?!? We all have bad days, but we have a lot of good days as well. What keeps us going is the satisfaction that we get from teaching and seeing the success that comes after it. Whether they continue to dance or take what they learned in your class and tackle this crazy thing called life. Being part of a success story is the gift that gives back, and that's why teachers teach. We love what we do because at one point, someone invested in us to be great thru the same platform, dance. It's a love that will always burn bright with passion. This weekend I was able to see that fire again thru the eyes of new dancers who've never experienced my personality or dance style. I saw it from an instructor who was able to take class and learn again. 

Tupac Shakur said it best.
I'm not saying I'm gonna change the world, but I guarantee that I will spark the brain that will change the world. - 2Pac 

Thanks Camano for reminding me that changing the world doesn't mean the earth as a whole, but changing the world of the person that lives in it :) 

Marc 

PS. Sometimes, the most important part of life is not what's in front of you, but who is still behind you :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment